Walter PEPPERCORN (1844–1911)
St Michael section: Row 16, Grave D49½

Walter Peppercorn








Walter Peppercorn was born at St Neots, Huntingdonshire on 15 June 1844. He was the son of William Peppercorn (born in St Neots in 1804/5) and Jane Hutchinson (born in Durham in 1806/7) who were married at St Oswald’s, Durham on 4 April 1832, with an announcement in The Times. They had the following children:

  • Mary Ann Peppercorn (born in St Neots in 1833/4)
  • Jane Peppercorn (born in St Neots in 1834/5)
  • William Alexander Peppercorn (born in St Neots in 1835/6)
  • Twin: John Hutchinson James Peppercorn, aka John Hutchinson Fiennes Peppercorn (born in St Neot’s in 1837/8)
  • Twin: Emmeline Peppercorn (born in St Neots in 1837/8)
  • Walter Peppercorn (born in St Neots in 1844)
  • Alfred (born in St Neots in 1851/2).

Walter’s father William Peppercorn was a solicitor, and his was an important family in St Neot’s (there is a Peppercorn’s Lane there, just as there is a Peppercorn Avenue in Oxford). His family firm had handled the abortive auction of Headington Manor House in 1836, and in 1848 he was Steward of the Manor of Headington, and in 1849 bought the Lordship of the Manor from Thomas Henry Whorwood. Walter’s father is listed in directories as one of the major landowners in Headington from about 1850, and the rent book of that year showed that he then owned the 120-acre Manor Farm in Headington; a brickyard comprising 129 acres on the Marston Road (formerly Tilehouse Farm); and other smaller properties, including as a house and land of 35 acres on Headington Hill. (Some of this he must have bought at the second sale of the Manor in 1846.)

Despite being Lord of the Manor, Walter’s father William Peppercorn did not own the Headington Manor House itself, and probably never lived in the area. At the time of the 1851 census he was a solicitor living in St Neots with his wife and four of his children: Mary Ann (17), Jane (16), Emmeline (13), and Walter himself (6). John (13) was at John Thornton’s boarding school in St Neots.

Walter became a solicitor like his father. He never married, and the censuses indicate that he had no permanent home. At the time of the 1861 census, he was an articled clerk of 16, lodging in the home of a railway clerk at Burton-on-Trent. His parents were then at Eaton Socon (then in Bedfordshire, but now part of St Neots in Cambridgeshire), living at North Road with their children William (25) and John (23), who were both general clerks, and Emmeline (23) and Alfred (9).

Walter’s father William Peppercorn died at St Neot’s on 18 July 1864 and left all his property to his three surviving sons, namely Walter himself and his older brothers William Alexander and John. His mother Jane Peppercorn died on 27 August 1870.

By the time of the 1871 census Walter Peppercorn was a fully-qualified solicitor aged 26, paying a visit to the home in Kingston, Surrey of another solicitor, Henry Beaumont. By the next year, he had an office in Oxford: Webster’s Directory for 1872 lists “Peppercorn, W, solicitor” at the south-west end of Cornmarket, next to St Martin’s Church.

In 1881 when he was 36, Walter was staying at North Road in his home village of Eaton Socon with his older brother John and his wife and five children. His brother William Alexander Peppercorn died on 19 September 1883.

In 1891 Walter (46) was staying at the Royal Bath Hotel, Bournemouth.

By 1899 Walter Peppercorn was listed as a solicitor at 27 New Inn Hall Street, Oxford, and he acted as Steward of the Manor of Headington (from 1883 until 1911 the Trustees of William Peppercorn are listed in directories as Lords of that manor).

By 1901 Walter Peppercorn had been appointed a director of the Randolph Hotel in Oxford and is listed at living at the hotel in the 1901 census.

His two surviving brothers died before the next census:

  • John Hutchinson Fiennes Peppercorn died at St Neots at the age of 69 on 19 August 1907; his effects came to £11,832 14s. 1d.
  • The Revd Alfred Peppercorn died at the Rectory, Stoke Poges, Leominster at the age of 56 on 14 February 1908; his effects came to £4,384 2s. 8d.

Walter himself died at his suite at the Randolph Hotel in 1911:

† Walter Peppercorn died on 17 January 1911 at the Randolph Hotel, at the age of 66 and was buried in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery (burial recorded in the parish register of St Michael’s Church).

His effects came to £25,291 6s. 2d., and his probate record describes him as being “of the Randolph Hotel and 17 St Michaels-street”. It was the latter address that gave him the right to be buried in the St Michael section of the cemetery.

The following notice of his death was published in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 18 January 1911:


We greatly regret to record the death of Mr. W. Peppercorn, which took place last night at the Randolph Hotel, of which he was a director, and where he resided. Mr. Peppercorn was Lord of the Manor of Headington. By profession he was a solicitor, having an office in St. Michael-street, but he never undertook Court cases, his practice being confined to non-contentious business. He took much interest in the Radcliffe Infirmary, and was a member of the Management Committee. In politics Mr. Peppercorn was a Conservative, and for several years he undertook the registration work of the Conservative party in South Oxon. He was Chairman of the Board of Directors of the “Oxford Times” Co., Ltd.

That newspaper the following week published a photograph of Walter Peppercorn on horseback and described him as a prominent mason and Steward of the Manor of Headington, which is more accurate than the above notice; it was only his father William who was actually Lord.

Following Walter’s death his father’s Trustees auctioned the remnant of the Headington manorial rights at the Golden Cross Hotel in Oxford, and they were purchased by Colonel James Hoole, who already owned Headington Manor House.



Please email
if you would like to add information

These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017