Walton Street, Oxford in 1861

Originally there were two names: Walton Street, and Upper Walton Street. For example, 25 Upper Walton Street later became 50 Walton Street. The street has retained the old style of numbering, running 1, 2, 3 etc. up the west side from the south end,
crossing the road and then running back down the east side from 89 to 173 (so that No. 1 is opposite 173).

The part of Walton Street in the St Paul's district chapelry was known as Upper Walton Street, and included Clarendon Place to the west, which ran between Walton Crescent and the University Press. The term Clarendon Place also appears to be used in the censuses for houses to the north of Great Clarendon Street.

Walton Street: West side, running from South to North

Nos. in 1861

PARISH/CENSUS BOOK

NOTES

Here is Worcester College

1–3

St Paul’s district chapelry/
St Thomas parish (Book 1)

No. 3 was rebuilt as Ruskin College in 1912

Here is Worcester Place

4–15

St Paul’s district chapelry/
St Thomas parish (Book 1)

 

Here is Worcester Terrace (now Richmond Road)

16–28

St Paul’s district chapelry/
St Thomas parish (Book 1)

 

Here is Walton Crescent

29–35

St Paul’s district chapelry/
St Thomas parish (Book 1)

 

University Press

 

Here is Great Clarendon Street

36–48

St Paul’s district chapelry/
St Thomas parish (Book 2)

 

Here is King Street/Cardigan Street

49–55

St Paul’s district chapelry/
St Thomas parish (Book 2)

No. 50 was a grocer’s shop in 1861
No. 54 became the Prince of Wales pub
No. 55 was a public house in 1861

Here is Jericho Street

56–60

St Paul’s district chapelry/
St Giles’s parish

Nos. 56 and 57 are the Jericho House pub
No. 58 is the Phoenix Cinema

Here is Cranham Street

61–72

St Paul’s district chapelry/
St Giles’s parish

Nos. 61–65 became the old
Jericho Health Centre
                

Here is Juxon Street

73–78

St Giles’s parish

73 not mentioned in the census

St Sepulchre’s
Cemetery 
& lodge (No. 81)

Although it is often called St Paul’s Cemetery, like the church it was not in St Paul’s parish

82–88

Nos 84–88 are not listed in the 1861 census and were probably built later. No. 85 became the Walton Ale Stores; and Nos. 86, 87, and 88 no longer exist

Here is Walton Well Road, and the start of Kingston Road

 

Walton Street: East side, running from North to South

Nos.

PARISH

NOTES

Here is St John’s Road (now St Bernard’s Road)

89–105

St Giles’s parish

Nos. 89/90: The Victoria pub
in 1861 and now

Here is Adelaide Street

106–111

St Giles’s parish

 

Here is Observatory Street

112–118

St Giles’s parish

 

St Paul’s Church

 

[Oxford Eye Hospital]

 

St Paul’s Schools

 

119

 

Here is Radcliffe Row

120, 121, 123,
126, 127

St Giles’s parish

 

Here is Little Clarendon Street

149–173

St Mary Magdalen parish 

Some of these houses were not built in 1861, and "waste ground" is listed in the census.
The Clarendon Press Institute is at No. 151

Here is Beaumont Street

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017