Mrs Jane WEST, née Marshall (1803–1864)
St Mary Magdalen section: Row 16, Grave D68

Jane West





In Affectionate Remembrance of
the beloved wife of the Reverend
Joseph West

Born July 11, 1803
Died September 17, 1864


Mine eyes have seen thy salvation





J. W.


Jane Marshall was born in Warwick on 11 July 1803 and baptised at St Mary’s Church there on 23 December 1807 (at the same time as her younger brother Henry, who was born on 22 September 1806). She was the daughter of James Marshall and his wife Mary.

On 3 July 1834 at Leamington Priors, Warwick, Jane Marshall married Joseph West. Joseph (born in Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire in c. 1800) had been matriculated at the University of Oxford from New College on 17 October 1818 at the age of 19, and was chaplain there from 1823 to 1866, and simultaneously chaplain of Magdalen College from 1826 to 1868 and of the Radcliffe Infirmary from 1830 to 1844.

Jane came to live with her husband in Oxford, and they had the following children:

  • William James West (born at St John Street, Oxford in 1837 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 27 July)
  • Joseph Dean West (born at St John Street, Oxford in 1839 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 19 July); died aged one month and buried there on 14 August 1839.

At the time of the 1841 census Jane (37) and her husband Joseph (40), who was still the Chaplain of the Radcliffe Infirmary, were living at St John Street with their son William (3) and two servants.

Holy Trinity Church in St Ebbe’s was consecrated in 1845, and Jane’s husband was appointed the first Perpetual Curate of there. He resigned from his chaplaincy at the hospital on taking up this post (but not those at Magdalen and New College). The family continued to live at St John Street.

In 1851 their address was specified as 17 St John Street, and Joseph was described as the incumbent of Holy Trinity Church.

On 12 December 1856 their son William James West was matriculated at the University of Oxford from All Souls College at the age of 19, and served as bible clerk from 1856 to 1857. He does not appear to have obtained his degree, and never had an occupation.

In 1861 Jane (57) was still living at 17 St John Street with her husband Joseph West (60), who continued as the incumbent of Holy Trinity Church, and their son William (23), and their two servants.

Mrs Jane West died in 1864:

† Mrs Jane West née Marshall died at 17 St John Street at the age of 61 on 17 September 1864 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 22 September (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).

Her death notice in Jackson’s Oxford Journal read simply, “Sept. 17, at 17, St. John-street, Jane, the beloved wife of the Rev. Joseph West, aged 61.”

In 1869 Jane’s husband Joseph ceased to be Perpetual Curate of Holy Trinity Church when his college, Magdalen, presented him as Rector of Standlake. At the time of the 1871 census Joseph West (70) lived alone at the Rectory there with two servants. He died at Standlake on 4 April 1876 at the age of 75, and was buried there on 8 April. His effects came to under £4,000, and his son William James West was his executor.

The surviving son of Jane and Joseph West
  • William James West (born in 1837) was lodging at Malvern in Worcestershire in 1871: aged 33, he described his “occupation” as “clergyman’s son”. He was still in Malvern when his father’s will was proved in 1879, but by the time of the 1881 census he was lodging at 107 Clifton Hill, Marylebone: he still had no occupation, and lived off the income from dividends. In 1891 he was visiting Malvern, and must have soon settled there again. He died at The Rockery, Great Malvern at the age of 62 on 29 October 1899, and his death was announced in the Standard. His effects came to £6,502 11s. 4d., and the Oxford solicitor Thomas Davenport was his executor.



Please email
if you would like to add information

These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017