Edward TURNER (1817–1878)
His wife Mrs Elizabeth TURNER, née Bunting (1823–1908)
St Giles section: Row 9, Grave B25
In Affectionate Remembrance
Who Died January 23, 1878
Aged 60 Years.
Also of Elizabeth,
the beloved wife of the above
Who Died April 5, 1908
This headstone is made of Portland stone
Edward Turner was born at Hailey near Witney in 1817 and baptised there on 23 February. He was the son of Edward Turner senior and his wife Jemima Milton, both of Hailey, who were married at Witney on 9 September 1797 and had eleven other children baptised at Hailey: Mary (1798), John (1799), Mary (1802), Richard (1803), Charlotte (1805), Susannah (1807), Deborah (1809), Ann (1811), William (1813), Lydia (1815), and Anne (1819). Edward’s father was described in the baptismal register as a farmer until 1817, and as a baker from 1819.
At the time of the 1851 census Edward Turner, an unmarried man of 34, was a commercial traveller, lodging at St Helen’s parish in Abingdon.
Elizabeth Bunting was born at Bear Lane, Oxford in 1823 and baptised at All Saints Church on 17 August. She was the daughter of James Bunting, a college bedmaker of St Mary the Virgin parish, and Elizabeth Goodall of St Aldate’s who were married at St Aldate’s Church on 29 July 1822. Her parents had evidently moved to St Aldate’s by the time their next child Mary was baptised in 1825, and their son James Edward was also baptised there the following year. Elizabeth’s father James Bunting died at St Aldate’s in 1826 at the age of 33 and was buried in St Peter-le-Bailey churchyard on 16 April. On 22 February 1829 her mother, described as a widow of St Aldate’s, married her second husband, the widower Jonathan H. Ovenell of St Martin’s, at St Aldate’s Church, and the family appears to have moved to his home at the south end of Cornmarket, where Elizabeth’s brother James Edward died in 1835 at the age of nine: he was buried at St Aldate’s Church, probably with his father.
At the time of the 1851 census Elizabeth Bunting was aged 27 and living at 10 St Aldate’s Street with her stepfather Jonathan Ovenell (60), who was a bootmaker, her mother Elizabeth (51), who was a straw bonnet maker, and her stepsisters Jane (20), who was also a straw bonnet maker, and Elizabeth (16).
On 27 January 1852 at St Aldate’s Church, Edward Turner, described as a merchant of Abingdon, married Elizabeth Bunting. They had one son:
- Edward Henry Turner (born at East St Helen’s Street, Abingdon on 8 January 1853 and baptised at St Helen’s Church there on 17 June)
The couple evidently started their married life in Abingdon, where Edward had been living before his marriage. By September 1855 the family had moved to Oxford and Edward Turner was working for the clothiers Messrs Hyde & Co. (which also had a branch in Abingdon) in Queen Street. He appears eventually to have taken over the firm.
By 1 March 1856 the Turner family was living in Plantation Road, as on that date an advertisement for an auction in Jackson’s Oxford Journal included the following lot:
Lot 2.—A detached DWELLING HOUSE, known as "IVY COTTAGE," situated in Plantation-road, conveniently arranged and well built, containing two sitting rooms, three bed rooms, kitchen, cellar, and wash-house; together with a large enclosed garden and summer house in the rear, in the occupation of Mr. Edward Turner, and let at £20 per annum.
The 1861 census shows the family still living at Plantation Road: Edward Turner (44), described as a commercial traveller for a clothier, was home on census night with his wife Elizabeth (38) and their son Edward Henry (8), plus one servant.
By 1871 Edward Turner (53), now a wholesale clothier, was living at Blenheim Place in Oxford (at the south end of the Woodstock Road, then known as St Giles’s Road West, near the Blenheim Nurseries), again with his wife and son and their servant.
He died there in 1878:
† Edward Turner died at Blenheim Place at the age of 60 on 25 January 1878 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 30 January (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
His death notice in Jackson’s Oxford Journal read: “Jan 25, at his residence, Blenheim Place, St. Giles’s Road West, Oxford, after a long illness, Mr. Edward Turner, aged 60.” (His gravestone seems to contain an error, as it says he died on 23 January; probate records are usually very accurate, and it agrees with the newspaper announcement that he died on 25 January.) His effects came to under £15,000, and his widow Elizabeth was his sole executor.
At the time of the 1881 census Elizabeth Turner, now a widow of 56 was living at 21 Blenheim Place with her son Edward Henry (28), who was a gentleman of leisure, and their servant.
In 1881 at Portsea Island, her only son Edward Henry Turner married Mary Henrietta Woodward.
Elizabeth Turner is hard to find in the 1891 census, but in 1901 when she was 76 she was living on her own at 91 Woodstock Road (which is likely to be the same house as 21 Blenheim Place) with a servant.
† Mrs Elizabeth Turner née Bunting died at 91 Woodstock Road at the age of 84 on 5 April 1908 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 8 April (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
Her effects came to £29,273 3s. 9d.
The only son of Edward & Elizabeth Turner
Edward Henry Turner appears to have been a gentleman of leisure, as he is always described in the censuses as living on his own means. He and his wife Mary had six children: Eva Mary Turner (1882), Winifred Elizabeth Turner (1884), Hilda Alice Turner (1886), Edward George Turner (1890), and Marjorie Turner (1893).
At the time of the 1891 census Edward (38) and his wife Mary (32) were living at the Manor House in Iffley with their first five children (plus a nurse and a general servant). They were still at Iffley Manor in 1901 and 1911.
By 1928 Edward Henry Turner was living at 2 Moreton Road in north Oxford. By 1936 he had moved to 36 Leckford Road, where he died on 17 November 1938. His effects came to £12,132 13s. 3d., and his son Lieutenant-Colonel Edward George Turner was one of his executors.