Edwin Henry Douglas STOCK (1845–1887)
St Giles section: Row 46, Grave J31
TO THE MEMORY OF
EDWIN HENRY DOUGLAS STOCK,
OF KILBRIDE, CO. MAYO, IRELAND,
WHO DIED AT OXFORD, NOV. 29, 1887,
AGED 42 YEARS
Edwin Henry Douglas Stock was born at Braddan in Douglas on the Isle of Man in 1845 and baptised at St Barnabas Church there on 10 October. He was the son of St George Henry Stock senior of Castle Connell, County Sligo and Frances Wilhelmina Atkinson of Rehins Parish, Ballynahaghish, County Mayo, who were married at St Peter’s Church, Dublin on 17 December 1844. They had the following children:
- Edwin Henry Douglas Stock (born in 1845 at Braddan, Douglas, Isle of Man and baptised at St Barnabas’s Church there on 10 October)
- Mona Frances Caroline Stock (born in 1846 at Braddan, Douglas, Isle of Man and baptised at St Barnabas’s Church there on 23 December)
- Louise Harriet Sophia Stock (born in 1849 at Douglas, Isle of Man; died aged 5 and buried at St George’s churchyard there on 5 April 1854)
- St George Henry Stock junior (born on 13 March 1850 at Douglas, Isle of Man and baptised at St George’s Church there on 9 April): see his wife Letitia’s grave in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery
- Reginald Ashley Stock (born in 1851 at Douglas, Isle of Man and baptised at St George’s Church there on 22 April)
- Amy Geraldine Harriet Stock (born 1855 at Douglas, Isle of Man and baptised at St George’s Church there on 14 November).
Edwin’s father was an army officer, and his grandfather was the Bishop of Killala.
At the time of the 1851 census Edwin’s father St George Henry Stock (41), described as a landed propretor retired from the army, was living at 19 Derby Square at Concham on the Isle of Man with his wife France (34) and their first five children. Also living with him was his widowed sister Mrs Mary Jackson and his wife’s sister Miss Elizabeth Atkinson. They had three servants, and a monthly nurse for the new baby. Their daughter Louise died in 1854.
By the time of the 1861 census the family was living in Jersey, in Sous la Houge Vingtaine with three of their five surviving children: Edwin himself (15), Reginald (10), and Amy (6).
In 1868 Edwin’s brother St George junior went up to the University of Oxford from Victoria College, Jersey, and was matriculated from Pembroke College on 26 October 1868.
The family is hard to find in 1871 except for Edwin’s brother Reginald (19), who was an Acting Sub-Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, on the Prince Consort, which was moored in Naples harbour.
In 1878 in Kensington, Edwin’s sister Mona Frances Cardina Stock married the widower the Revd Christopher Heath.
Edwin is hard to find in the 1881 census, and was probably living in Ireland. His brother St George (31), who was already a widower, was then living with his young daughter in Oxford; Reginald (29) was a Lieutenant on the Royal Adelaide in Devonport; and Amy (26) was a cookery teacher, lodging with a family in Ipswich. Mona (33) was living at the vicarage in Hucclecote, Gloucestershire with her husband, the Revd Christopher Heath (64) and their young children Frances Heath (2) and Lettice Mona H. Heath (nine months), as well as her husband’s daughter Helena, who was the same age as she was. Mona died at Hucclecote in 1886.
In 1887 Edwin was evidently in Oxford, as he died that year at his brother St George’s house in Museum Street, Oxford, but was described on his grave as still being of Kildbridge, County Mayo.
† Edwin Henry Douglas Stock died at Museum Villas, Oxford at the age of 42 on 29 November 1887 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 2 December (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).