George RADBONE (c.1785–1860)
His wife Mrs Tabitha Baughan RADBONE, née SPITTLE (1795–1867)
Their son George William RADBONE (1828–1885)
Their son’s wife Mrs Mary Ann RADBONE, née Neave (1833–1890)
St Giles section: Row 7, Grave B42

George Radbone

 

I H S

 

IN MEMORY OF


GEORGE RADBONE
HE DEPARTED NOV. 9, A.D. 1860
AGED 78 YEARS

TABITHA HIS WIFE
DEPARTED DEC. 11, A.D. 1867
AGED 72 YEARS

 

 

GEORGE WILLIAM THEIR SON
DEPARTED JAN 29, A.D. 1885
AGED 55 YEARS

MARY ANN [HIS WIFE]
DEPARTED SEP. … 1890
[AGED 57]

 

George Radbone was born in Cothill, Berkshire in c.1785.

Tabitha Baughan Spittle was born in Witney in 1795 and baptised at St Mary’s Church there on 7 March, She was the daughter of William Spittle and Elizabeth Baughan, who were married at that church on 26 February 1794. Three of her younger siblings were also baptised there: John (1800), William (1805), and Edward (1808).

On 3 April 1820 at St Michael’s Church in Oxford, George Radbone married Tabitha Baughan Spittle: they were both living in that parish at the time of their marriage. George was unable to sign the register with his name (which probably explains why his surname was recorded as Radbourn), but Tabitha could. They had the following children:

  • Henry Radbone (born in Oxford 1821 and baptised at St Michael’s Church with surname spelt Radbourn on 28 January)
  • Fanny Elizabeth Radbone (born at the Radcliffe Infirmary Lodge, Oxford in 1824 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 31 December)
  • George Radbone (born at the Radcliffe Infirmary Lodge, Oxford in 1827 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 3 June; died the same year and buried in St Giles’s churchyard on 26 December)
  • George William Radbone (born at the Radcliffe Infirmary Lodge, Oxford in 1828 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 26 December)
  • Ann Baughan Radbone (born at the Radcliffe Infirmary Lodge, Oxford in 1831 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 26 December)
  • Elizabeth Radbone (born at the Radcliffe Infirmary Lodge, Oxford in 1834 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 20 May)
  • Edward Henry Radbone (born at the Radcliffe Infirmary Lodge, Oxford in 1838 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 26 October)

George Radbone was an ostler in St Michael’s parish in 1821, but by 1824 was the porter at the Radcliffe Infirmary, living in the lodge on the Woodstock Road, just off the left-hand side of the picture below:

Radcliffe Infirmary

At the time of the 1841 census George and Tabitha Radbone were living in the Radcliffe Infirmary lodge with their four youngest children George (12), Ann (10), Elizabeth (7) and Edward (2). Their eldest son Henry (20) was an apprentice carpenter lodging in Broad Street, and their eldest daughter Fanny Elizabeth (16) was probably out to service.

In 1851 George (64) and Tabitha (56) were still at the Radcliffe Infirmary lodge with two of their children: Henry (30), who was a carpenter, and Elizabeth (17). Their other four children were all now out to work: Fanny Elizabeth (25) was working as a cook in Wokingham; George William Radbone (22) was working as a carpenter in Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire; and Edward, who was only 12, was one of the three servants of the bookseller John Henry Parker at 10 Turl Street.

Two of their sons were married in the 1850s:

  • On 1 September 1851 at Stratfield Turgis, Hampshire Henry Radbone (30) married Jane Ibbs (37);
  • On 6 June 1858 at St Clement’s Church, Oxford George William Radbone married Mary Ann Neave (more below).

George Radbone died in 1860:

† George Radbone died at St Giles’s Road at the age of 73 on 9 November 1860 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 15 November (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).

At the time of the 1861 census Tabitha (63) was living at 37 St Giles’s Road, and had taken in a lodger. Her four unmarried children were all working away from home: Fanny (35) was the cook for a lady in Winchester; Ann (29) was the nurse of the children of the Rector of Brightwell, Berkshire; Elizabeth (27, but recorded as 23) was a lady’s maid to the family of the Rector of Pulham but on census night was paying a visit with her employers to Melcombe Regis in Dorset; and Edward Henry (22) was a grocer’s assistant, lodging with a grocer at Ware, Hertfordshire.

Two of her daughters were married in the 1860s:

  • On 10 September 1863 at St Giles’s Church, Oxford, Elizabeth Radbone (28) married James Henry Lewis (21), a law clerk from Reading;
  • On 18 July 1867 at St Giles’s Church, Oxford, Ann Baughan Radbone (36) married William Parsons (35), a baker of Long Wittenham.

Both girls described their deceased father as a gentleman (whereas at his wedding in 1858, when his father was still alive, George junior had described him as a servant).

Mrs Radbone died five months after the marriage of Ann:

† Mrs Tabitha Radbone née Spittle died at St Giles’s Road at the age of 72 on 11 December 1867 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 17 December (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).


Their son George William Radbone and his wife Mary Ann Neave

George William Radbone (born 1828) was a carpenter, and his background is given above.

Mary Ann Neave was born at Parson’s Yard, Oxford on 30 April 1833 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 31 May. She was the daughter of the coachmaker Matthew Neave and Mary Ann Simons, who were married at St Andrew’s Church in Headington on 25 February 1827. Her nine siblings were also baptised at St Giles’s Church: William (1828); Anne (1830, buried 1835); Sarah Elizabeth (1831, buried 1835); Elizabeth (1835); Harriet Anne (1837); Jacob (1838); Matthew I (1840, buried 1841); Matthew II (1846, buried same year); and Sarah (1847).

By the time of the 1841 census the family had moved to Cardigan Street in Jericho, and Mary Ann (8) was there with her parents and four siblings, plus their 13-year-old servant girl. By 1851 her father was the landlord of the Pheasant Inn at 31 George Street, but Mary Ann (17) was a servant at 49 Holywell Street.

On 6 June 1858 at St Clement's Church, George William Radbone married Mary Ann Neave: they were both living in St Clement’s parish at the time of their marriage. They had two children:

  • George Edward Radbone (born at Little Clarendon Street, Oxford in 1859 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 6 July)
  • Alice Tabitha Radbone (born at Little Clarendon Street, Oxford in 1868 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 30 November).

At the time of the 1871 census George and Mary were living at 27 Little Clarendon Street with their children Edward (11) and Alice (2).

In 1881 their address was given as 30 Little Clarendon Street: George was still working as a carpenter, and only Alice (12) was at home with them.

By 1885 they had moved to Union Street in Jericho, and George William Radbone died there that year:

† George William Radbone died at Union Street, Jericho at the age of 56 on 29 January 1885 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 2 February (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).

His wife Mary Ann died in 1890.

† Mrs Mary Ann Radbone née Neave died at Union Street, Jericho at the age of 57 in September 1890 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 19 September (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).


The other surviving children of George and Tabitha Baughan Radbone
  • Henry Radbone (born 1821) see separate grave
  • Fanny Elizabeth Radbone (born 1824) married the widower Thomas Lewis in Wokingham in late 1869. She was 45 at the time of the marriage, and they do not appear to have had any children. At the time of the 1871 census Fanny, who had shaved a few years off her age, was living at 3 Oxford Row, Wokingham with her husband and stepson, who were both builders. She is hard to find after that date: did she remarry? Otherwise could be the Fanny Elizabeth Lewis who died in London in 1888 (although her age is given as 68 rather than 64).
  • Ann Baughan Radbone, Mrs Parsons (born 1831) and her husband William Parsons do not appear to have had any children. By 1871 she was a a widow aged 39, acting as housekeeper to the grocer John Savage at 24 Great Clarendon Street. In 1891 she was living with her widower brother Henry at 55 Woodstock Road. She died at 68 Observatory Street on 8 January 1907. Her effects came to £1,147 14s. 4d., and her executors were her sister-in-law Mrs Elizabeth Radbone and her niece Mrs Emma Tabitha Lewis.
  • Elizabeth Radbone, Mrs Lewis (born 1834) and her husband James Henry Lewis do not appear to have had any children. In 1871 Elizabeth was living at 1 Myrtle Villas, Ealing with her husband, who was a commercial traveller in starch, and her mother-in-law, plus their servant; and her brother Henry and his wife were paying a visit. In 1881 James was an agent to Peek Frean & Co., and they were living at 6 Linden Gardens, Chiswick, and their nieces Emma Tabitha Radbone (14) and Alice Radbone (13) (Edward Rathbone’s eldest children) were living with them. Mrs Elizabeth Lewis died at the age of 50 in 1884. Near the beginning of 1887 in the Headington registration district her husband James Lewis (44) married Emma Tabitha Radbone (20), the niece who had been living at his home, and continued to live with her in Chiswick.
  • Edward Henry Radbone (born 1838) married Elizabeth Parrott in Ware in the third quarter of 1865. They came to Oxford to live and they had eleven children: Emma, Alice, Fanny, Florence, Charles, William, Minnie, Frank, Victor, Keith, and Bessie. At the time of the 1871 census Edward was a grocer living at the Cowley Road with his wife and their first three children, plus his mother-in-law and two brothers-in-law. The address was given as 181 Cowley Road in 1881, and he was now employing nine men and had two house servants. By 1891 they were running a grocer’s shop in Toot Baldon, and by 1901 at The Avenue, Summertown. He died there at the age of 66 on 4 May 1905. His effects came to £37,865 15s. 6d.

Facebook

Twitter

Please email stsepulchres@gmail.com
if you would like to add information


These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017