Mrs Martha NUNNEY, née Combes (1780–1850)
Martha BUDD (c.1793–1855)
St Giles section: Row 26, Grave E26½
The inscription on the headstone
is heavily worn, and is also
obscured by the footstone,
but it is possible to deduce
who is buried here from the
information on the footstone,
and the fact that it is in the
St Giles’s section of the cemetery
M. N. 1850.
M. B. 1855.
Martha Coombs was born in Oxford on 29 April 1780 and baptised at St Michael’s Church the next day. She was the daughter of John Combes and Martha Humphries, who were married at St Aldate’s Church in Oxford on 27 June 1779. Five of Martha’s younger siblings were also baptised at that church: John (1781), William (1782), James (1784), Stephen (1786), and Elizabeth (1790),
Martha grew up in St Michael’s parish, probably at 13 Market Street, where her father was a basket-maker, and was still living there when on 7 November 1803 at St Michael's Church she married the slater William Nunney (of the same parish). They had ten children:
- William Nunney (born at Oxford on 15 October 1804 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 21 October)
- John Nunney (born at Oxford on 30 June 1806 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 2 July);
died aged 17 and buried in its churchyard on 14 April 1823
- Martha Nunney (born at Oxford on 16 October 1807 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 18 October) ;
died aged six months and buried in its churchyard on 17 April 1808)
- Henry Nunney (born at Oxford on 28 March 1809 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 29 March)
- Elizabeth Nunney (born at Oxford on 23 December 1810 and baptised at St Michael’s Church the same day);
died age 16 and buried in its churchyard on 4 January 1827
- James Nunney (born in Oxford on 17 June 1812 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 20 June)
- Charles Nunney born at Oxford in 1814 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 28 June);
died age 9 and buried in its churchyard on 8 January 1823
- Thomas Nunney (born at Oxford in 1815 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 4 December)
- Mary Ann Nunney (born at Oxford in 1819 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 27 June)
- Charles Nunney (born at Oxford in 1822 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 21 July)
Martha’s husband William Nunney died at George Street at the age of 65 in 1838 and was buried in St Michael’s churchyard on 11 May.
At the time of the 1841 census Martha Nunney, a widow of about 61, was living in St Bernard’s Road (then called St John’s Road) in St Giles’s parish with three of her children: James (27), who was a basket maker like his maternal grandfather; Thomas (25), who was a cabinet maker; and Mary Ann (20).
Martha Nunney died in 1850:
† Mrs Martha Nunney née Coombs died at St Bernard’s Road at the age of 70 in 1850 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 27 May (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
Her will was proved at the Oxfordshire Consistory Court (Oxfordshire Wills Index 109.162 with Administration Bond Affidavit at 246/3/8).
At the time of the 1851 census her son Thomas Nunney (35), who was a basket-maker employing two men and one boy, and his sister Mary Ann (31) were living at 13 Market Street. They were still there in 1861. Thomas died at 13 Market Street at the age of 49 and was buried on 31 July 1865. His burial is recorded in the St Michael parish register, and he too may be in an unidentified grave in St Sepulchre's Cemetery.
Miss Mary Ann Nunney took over the family basket warehouse at 13 Market Street and was still running it in 1899. She died in Oxford in 1904: see separate grave.
Martha Budd was born in c.1793. She is very hard to identify: she is too old to be a daughter or niece of Mrs Martha Nunney, but may be a more distant family member, or perhaps her younger companion. It is also impossible to ascertain whether Budd was her maiden or married name, but no one with the surname Nunney ever married anyone called Budd.
Martha Budd died in 1855:
† Martha Budd died at Summertown at the age of 61 in 1855 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 2 February (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).