The Revd Edward MARSHALL (1815–1899)
His wife Eliza Julia MARSHALL, née Burton (c.1826–1856)
Their infant son Edward MARSHALL (died 1850)
Their infant son William Charles MARSHALL (died 1853)
St Mary Magdalen section: Row 11, Grave D56
Above: LOOKING FOR THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD / Rev. Edward Marshall M.A. / Aged LXXXIV Years. A.D. MDCCCXCIX
Below: IN THE LOVE OF GOD / Eliza Julia wife of Rev. Edward Marshall / Aged XXX Years. A.D. MDCCCLVI
[Headstone set at right angles to vault is shown below]
ALSO / IN MEMORY OF / EDWARD / DIED 1850 / AND / WILLIAM CHARLES / DIED 1853
THE INFANT SONS OF / EDWARD MARSHALL / SOME TIME FELLOW OF / CORPUS CHRISTI COLLEGE / AND HIS WIFE / JULIA
Edward Marshall was born in Ardley, Oxfordshire on 26 August 1815. His father was the Revd Edward Marshall Hacker, who was a widower when on 29 November 1814 at St Peter-in-the-East Church, Oxford he married Mary Anne Burton of Duns Tew, the daughter of James Burton D.D., Canon of Christ Church. They had the following children (who do not appear to have used the Hacker part of the surname, which had been adopted by their father):
- Edward Marshall (born at Ardley in 1815 and baptised there on 26 August)
- Jenner Marshall (born at Ardley in 1817 and baptised there on 10 March)
- Nicholas Marshall (born at Ardley in 1817/18 and baptised there on 21 January 1818)
- Mary Anne Marshall (born at Iffley in 1822 and baptised there on 1 December)
- Eleanor Marshall (born at Iffley in 1824 and baptised there on 22 October).
When Edward was born, his father was Rector of Ardley. In 1819 when Edward was about four his father was appointed Rector of Iffley and the family moved there.
Edward Marshall was matriculated at the University of Oxford from Oriel College on 29 January 1834 at the age of 18, and then won a scholarship at Corpus Christi College. He was a Fellow of Corpus from 1836 to 1839.
On 31 January 1839 Edward's father Edward Marshall Hacker died at the age of 64 and was buried in Iffley churchyard on 7 February.
Later in 1839 Edward Marshall was appointed Curate of Enstone, which had been the home of his grandfather Nicholas Marshall. He then moved on to be Curate of Somerton, near Bicester, and in the 1841 census he can be seen living alone there at the age of 25 with two female servants.
In 1845 he was appointed Curate of St Mary Magdalen parish in Oxford.
Eliza Julia Burton was born at Ash in Kent in 1825/6), the daughter of the Revd Charles Burton and Eliza Botelier. Her next two siblings were born in Ash: Charles (1827, died the same year), and Elizabeth Agnes (1829). Her brother Charles Richard was born in India (1830) and her sisters Eliza Mary and Elizabeth Helen in Littlebourn (1831 and c.1835). All three of her sisters were confusingly also called either Eliza or Elizabeth.
At the time of the 1841 census Eliza Julia Burton (15) was at home in Lydd at Romney Marsh in Kent with her parents and her siblings Eliza Agnes (13), Charles (11), Eliza Mary (9), Elizabeth (6), and they had two servants.
In the fourth quarter of 1846 in the Romney Marsh district, Edward Marshall married Eliza Julia Burton (born in Canterbury in 1825/6), and they lived at 34 Beaumont Street (right).
They had four children:
- Julia Elizabeth Marshall (born at 34 Beaumont Street, Oxford in 1848 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 11 June)
- Edward Marshall (born at 34 Beaumont Street, Oxford in 1849/50 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 25 February 1850); died before the age of one
- Edward Henry Marshall (born at 34 Beaumont Street, Oxford in 1851, reg. third quarter and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 16 September 1851)
- William Charles Marshall (born at Hastings in 1852/3); died aged six months.
The first of the two sons who were named Edward after their father died as a baby in 1850, and was the first to be buried in this grave:
† Edward Marshall junior died at 34 Beaumont Street on 13 October 1850 at the age of seven months and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 18 October (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
The 1851 census shows Edward (35) and Eliza (25) living at 34 Beaumont Street, Oxford with their surviving daughter Julia (2) and one nursery and one house servant. Their second son called Edward was born later the same year.
By the end of 1852 the family had moved to Hastings, where their youngest son, William Charles Marshall, was born. The following year, 1853, he also died as a baby, and was buried in Oxford with his brother:
† William Charles Marshall died in Hastings at the age of six months in June 1853 and was buried in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 22 June (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
Mrs Marshall died three years later in 1856, and her body was brought to Oxford for burial with her baby sons:
† Mrs Eliza Julia Marshall died in Hastings (at 10 White Rock Place in the district of St Mary-in the Castle) at the age of 30 on 30 March 1856 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 4 April 1856 (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
Her death notice in Jackson's Oxford Journal read simply, “March 31, at Hastings, Eliza Julia, wife of the Rev. Edward Marshall, M.A., of Beaumont-street, in this city.”
Four weeks later, on 28 April 1856, Marshall’s mother Mrs Mary Anne Marshall Hacker died at Iffley Rectory at the age of 74.
At the time of the 1861 census Marshall was still living at Hastings (at 5 Croft, St Clement) with his two surviving children Julia (12) and Edward (9). They had four servants: a governess, cook, parlourmaid, and housemaid. Just after the census he returned to Oxfordshire, and from about 1861 to 1864 held the living of Hempton near Banbury.
Marshall then retired for a long time from the charge of a parish, moving to Sandford St Martin (to the west of Chipping Norton), where he lived at the Manor House (left), which had been left to him by his father. The 1871 census shows Marshall (55), described as a clergyman without cure of souls and landowner, living here with his daughter Julia (22) and his son Edward (19), who was now an undergraduate. They surprisingly had only two servants: a parlourmaid and housemaid.
According to village tradition, soon after he moved in, Marshall had the Crown Inn (which had stood near the manor house gates since 1788) closed, as he objected to a public house so close to his gates. He also reversed the main entrance of his house, moving it to the south-east front and making a new drive from the village street.
Marshall wrote a history of each parish in which he lived: Enstone (1868), Sandford St. Martin (1866), Iffley (1870), Woodstock (1873) and Deddington (1879), and he also published A history of the diocese of Oxford in 1882.
Marshall took services in many parishes of the diocese, and thought nothing of walking twelve miles each way to the church in Banbury. In “Echoes of the Week” in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 23 September 1899, however, he was described as “not specially acceptable either as a preacher or as a public speaker; he had rather the gift of acquiring rather than imparting knowledge; he had a curious faculty for creating friction and a certain absence of tact”.
He was appointed Diocesan Inspector of Schools for the Deanery of Woodstock in 1866, a position he held until 1878.
His only son Edward Henry Marshall was matriculated at the University of Oxford from Oriel College on 28 April 1870 at the age of 18. He obtained his B.A. in 1873, and became a student of the Inner Temple in 1876. He was married in 1877:
- On 19 June 1887 at St Giles's Church in Camberwell, Surrey, Edward Henry Marshall, described as a law student of Oxford, married Julia Smith of Lordship Lane, the daughter of Petherel Smith, gentleman.
At the time of the 1881 census Marshall (65) was paying a visit at the house of George Moore (37), the Vicar of Cowley.
When the Vicar of Sandford St Martin died in 1884, Marshall, who had acquired the living, succeeded him. The 1891 census shows him at the Manor House with his daughter Julia (42) and three servants (a cook, housemaid, and parlourmaid).
Marshall died in 1899 and was buried in the same grave as his wife and two infant sons:
† Edward Marshall died at the Manor House, Sandford St Martin on 13 September 1899 at the age of 84. He was buried in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on Monday 18 September 1899 (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
An announcement of his death appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 16 September 1899:
SANDFORD ST. MARTIN.
We regret to announce the sudden death, on Wednesday last, at the Manor House, Sandford St. Martin, of the Rev. Edward Marshall, M.A., F.S.A., vicar of Sandford. The deceased gentleman, formerly Fellow of Corpus Christi College, was in his eighty-fifth year, and had been vicar of the parish since 1884. Death was due to a sudden failure of the action of the heart. The funeral will take place at St. Sepulchre’s Cemetery, Oxford, on Monday next, at 12.30.
His effects came to £20,990 13s. 4d., and his executors were his son Edward and his solicitor.
A long obituary and report on the funeral was published in Jackson's Oxford Journal on 23 September 1899:
The funeral of the late Vicar of Sandford St. Martin, the Rev. Edward Marshall, whose sudden death through failure of the action of the heart on the previous Wednesday, at his residence, Manor House, at the age of 84, we briefly announced last week, took place on Monday at St. Sepulchre’s Cemetery, Walton-street, the interment being in the grave in which his wife, who died in 1856, and infant child are buried.
He was educated at Corpus Christi College, and took his B.A. degree in 1838, and proceeded to that of M.A. two years later. He was ordained deacon in 1839, in which year he was appointed curate of Enstone, and priest in 1840, when he was transferred to Somerton, which curacy he held for four years. He was for nearly fifteen years a curate of St. Mary Magdalene, in this city, and on leaving here held the living of Hempton to 1864. He was Diocesan Inspector of Schools for the Deanery of Woodstock from 1866 to 1878.
He was a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and was the author of a number of works, amongst the best known being the following: “An Account of Sandford, in the Deanery of Woodstock,” 1866; “An Account of the Township of Church Enstone, in the deanery of Chipping Norton,” 1868; “An Account of Iffley, with Additions,” 1874; “The Early History of Woodstock Manor and its Environs, with Supplement,“ 1875; “On the Early Traces of Institutions resembling in some particulars the Modern Hospital,” 1876; “Translation of the Venerable Bede on the Apocalypse,” 1878; “Historical and Descriptive Notices of Deddington in Transactions of the North Oxon Archaeological Society,” 1879; “History of the Diocese of Oxford,” 1882, etc. He was well known for his interest in antiquarian research, and an elected representative of the clergy at the Diocesan Conference in Oxford, which he regularly attended.
The body was removed on Monday morning from the Manor House to the parish church of Sandford St. Martin, and placed in the chancel, and an early celebration of the Holy Communion was followed by a service at 9.30 for the parishioners, of whom many attended as a last mark of respect and esteem. It was then conveyed by road to Oxford, and was met at St. Sepulchre’s gates by the Rev. H. E. Clayton, Vicar of St. Mary Magdalene and Rural Dean of Oxford, and the Rev. W. D. Macray, Rector of Ducklington, formerly curate of St. Mary Magdalene, who conducted the service in the chapel and at the graveside. The coffin was of polished oak, with brass furniture, and a cross of unpolished wood extended from the head to a plate at the foot, on which was the following inscription:—
Born 26th August, 1815,
Died 13th September, 1899.
The mourners were: Mr. E. H. Marshall (son), Miss Marshall (daughter), Miss J. E. Marshall (granddaughter), Rev. Jenner Marshall (brother), Messrs. J. G. and F. E. Marshall (nephews), Mrs. J. G. Marshall, Miss Burton, Misses E. and A. Marshall (nieces), and servants from Sandford Manor House.
Among the clergy who attended were the Revs. T. J. Hearn, Rector of Wootton, Rural Dean of Woodstock; Dr. Wood, Late Vicar of Cropredy; C. H. Faithfull, Rector of Rousham; T. Nolan, Rector of Tackley; S. York, Rector of Fifield, Chipping Norton; F. J. Brown, Rector of Steeple Aston; C. A. Marcon, Marcon’s Hall; H. Walmisley, vicar of Iffley; W. H. Langhorne, Vicar of Steeple Aston; and F. P. Burnett, Vicar of Colnbrook, Slough. Mr. A. W. Hall, Barton Abbey, Mr. F. P. Morrell, of Oxford, and Messrs. Cole and Rogers, churchwardens of Sandford St. Martin, were also present.
A number of choice wreaths and crosses were placed upon the coffin, those who thus testified their regard including Captain and Mrs. Cottrell-Dormer; Rev. and Mrs. W. H. Langhorne and Miss Langhorne, “with sincerest sympathy and condolence”; Edward and Julia; “With much love from Julia and the children”; “With deep respect and affection, Miss G. M. Burton”; “With tender love and sympathy, from the Sandford St. Martin school children”; “With deep respect, from Miss Marshall’s Bible Class”; “In very kind remembrance, Mrs. Guest, Sandford Park”; “With most affectionate remembrance, from General and Mrs. E. F. Burton”; “From Agnes Theodora Langhorne, in memory of her Confirmation and the Reverend Edward Marshall’s kindness in preparing her”; “With deepest sympathy of all at the Mill”; “With affectionate respect and sympathy, from his servants,“ etc.
The funeral arrangements were in the care of Messrs Elliston and Cavell.
In the course of his sermon at St. Mary Magdalene Church, on Sunday morning, on the subject of the “Raising of the Widow’s Son” (St. Luke vii.), the Vicar (Rev. H. E. Clayton) said: It will be my duty to-morrow to commit to its last resting-place on earth the body of Edward Marshall, the vicar of Sandford St. Martin, who died suddenly in his bed on Wednesday morning at the ripe age of 84. He was a scholar of no mean attainments, as the list of his writings in “Crockford” would show, his mind being specially active in historical and antiquarian research, and he was the author of “The History of the Diocese of Oxford.” Since 1884 he had held the small living of Sandford St. Martin, residing in the Manor House, and maintaining the school almost entirely at his own expense. His connection with St. Mary Magdalene parish began in 1846, and he acted as curate to Mr. Jacob Ley for 15 years, Mr. Rigaud and Mr. Macray being his colleagues for the latter part of the time. Many of our older parishioners will remember him as curate. He was very active in parochial work and has always kept up his interest in the parish, asking from time to time about the old people whom he remembered, and to the last keeping up certain subscriptions for the benefit of the poor. He was curate of the parish when St. George’s Church was built, 1849–50, and I have it from his own lips that he did his utmost to dissuade Jacob Ley from building a second church, but without avail. He had promised to preach at St. George’s this year, on St. Andrew’s Day, it being the 50th anniversary of its building; but that cannot be. He has passed away at the call of his Master, and he lies waiting for the great day of resurrection—a faithful servant of Christ, whose hope was firm and sure. Mr. Macray and I will commit his body to the ground in the grave where his wife’s body lies, knowing that the Lord will so change “the body of his humiliation” that it shall be like unto His own glorious body, and will raise it up at the last day — not like the young man in the Gospel narrative who was restored for a prolonged life upon earth — but as one made ready for the enjoyment of an endless immortality in the Kingdom of Heaven.
His effects came to £20,990 13s. 4d., and his executors were his son Edward Henry Marshall and Frederick Parker Morrell.
Surviving children of Edward and Eliza Marshall
- Julia Elizabeth Marshall (born 1848) never married. In 1901 she was living with her lady's maid at a lodging house in Oxford at 25 St Giles's Street. She was still living there at the time of her death in the Acland Nursing Home on 9 January 1913. Her effects came to £14,447 2s. 7d.
- Edward Henry Marshall (born (1851) was appointed librarian of Hastings Reference Library in 1880, and was an authority on the town. At the time of the 1901 census he and his wife Julia were living at 23 Magdalen Road, St Leonard's-on-Sea, Sussex with their children Julia (22), Charles (16), who was a bank clerk, Felicia (15), Helen (12), Marian (9), Georgiana (7), Mary (5), and Eleanor (4), plus two servants. He died at that address on 10 September 1909. His effects came to £15,515 5s. 10d. Sandford Manor House passed to his son, Edward Ralph Marshall, who in 1937 sold it to A. J. Edmondson, who was created Lord Sandford of Banbury in 1945.