Alfred Ogle HANSARD (1817–1851)
St Mary Magdalen section: Row 16A, Grave D51

Alfred Hansard

Alfred Ogle Hansard died III December MDCCCLI aged 34

Alfred Ogle Hansard was born in Bloomsbury on 10 September 1817 and baptised at St George’s Church there on 16 October. He was one of the fourteen surviving children of Luke Greaves Hansard and Elizabeth Hobbs, and his father was described as a printer in the baptismal register.

Alfred joined the Royal Navy as a boy in the 1830s. This portrait of him which can be seen at Bradley Manor, Newton Abbot may have been painted just before he left home.

His father Luke Greaves Hansard died on 28 April 1841, and the following announcement of his death appeared in the Gentleman’s Magazine:

At Chigwell-row, Luke Greaves Hansard, esq. of Bedford-square, one of the Printers of the House of Commons. He was the third son of the late James Hansard, esq. who for many years held that highly responsible office; and since his father’s decease, has been the mostly engaged partner in carrying on that extensive concern. Mr. Hansard was much respected by his professional brethren; and has left a family of fourteen children to mourn their great loss.

Alfred Ogle Hansard rose to the rank of Lieutenant in the Royal Navy on 19 December 1844, but by the time of the 1851 census he was probably already suffering from heart trouble, and at the age of 33 was home on half-pay with his widowed mother Elizabeth at 2 Kensington Garden Terrace, Paddington. Also in the household were his married sister Mrs Eliza Hodger (40), and his unmarried sister Emily (23). They had three female servants and a manservant.

In late 1851 Lieutenant Hansard paid a visit to Oxford to see his brother Richard James Hansard (born 1822). Richard had come up to Trinity College, Oxford from Winchester College, but does not appear to have taken a degree; instead he moved on to St George’s Hospital, London, and took the M.R.C.S. in 1847. By the beginning of 1849 Hansard’s brother was back in Oxford, staying at 11 Broad Street; and on 30 October 1851 he was elected Surgeon to the Radcliffe Infirmary, where he must have worked with the Physician to the Infirmary, James Adey Ogle (from whom Lieutenant Alfred Ogle Hansard presumably acquired his middle name). On 3 December 1851 Lieutenant Hansard was dining at the Ogles’ home at 63 St Giles’s Street in St Mary Magdalen parish and suddenly dropped dead, thus determining the cemetery in which he would be buried. The following report appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 6 December 1851:

SUDDEN DEATH.— A distressing case of sudden death occurred in this city on Wednesday last, at the house of Dr. Ogle, in St. Giles, where Lieutenant Hansard, brother to Mr. Hansard, surgeon, had been dining. It appears that shortly after dinner Lieutenant Hansard left the room and was proceeding up stairs, when he was suddenly seized with an attack of disease of the heart, from which he had long suffered, and died instantaneously. The melancholy event has cast a gloom over many circles in the University, where this promising young man was greatly beloved, for his amiable qualities and social disposition.

† Lieutenant Alfred Ogle Hansard died at 63 St Giles’s Street, Oxford at the age of 34 on 3 December 1851 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 9 December (burial recorded in the parish register of St Mary Magdalen Church).

The parish register gives Lieutenant Hansard’s address as the High Street, which suggests that he was staying at his brother’s home, which was at 31 High Street, Oxford (one of the houses later demolished to make way for the Brasenose High Street range). An inquest was held into his death two days later on 5 December, and the verdict was, “Died suddenly of disease of the heart.”

Hansard’s will is available in the National Archives. His executors were his brothers Luke, James, and Octavius Hansard.



Please email
if you would like to add information

These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017