Daniel George HALL (1839–1899)
[Probably also his wife Mrs Emily HALL, nee Goddard (1840–1880)
and their daughter Ada Marion HALL (1877–1881)]
St Giles section: Probably Row 9, Grave 44½
The text on this grave is illegible, but it is likely to be the grave of Daniel George Hall, as it is next to the grave of his mother, Mrs Elizabeth Hall.
For more on Daniel George Hall’s
background and early life,
see the separate grave of his mother and brother
(which also contains two of his children)
Daniel George Hall was born at Observatory Street, Oxford on 1 March 1839, the son of John Hall and his wife Elizabeth, and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 7 April. He had two older siblings who survived infancy: Eliza (born 1829) and Thomas (born 1836).
Daniel’s father was originally a builder, but started up a small brewery in Observatory Street in the 1830s attached to the Plume of Feathers (which was eventually numbered 80).
Daniel’s father John Hall died at the age of 40 in 1843 and was buried at St Giles’s Church on 3 February. His mother Elizabeth then managed the brewery herself, as well as bringing up three children, and is listed as a beer retailer in Observatory Street in Hunt’s Directory for 1846.
At the time of the 1851 census Daniel (13) was living at Observatory Street with his mother Elizabeth, who was described as a brewer, and his siblings Eliza (20), Thomas (15), and Daniel (13).
Daniel’s mother Elizabeth Hall died at Observatory Street at the age of 58 and was buried on 22 July 1859 in a separate grave. Daniel then took over the pub and brewery. At the time of the 1861 census Daniel Hall (22), described as a brewer and publican, was living at the Plume of Feathers (80 Observatory Street) with his 60-year old widowed aunt, Mrs Elizabeth Willis, who was described as his housekeeper.
Emily Goddard was born in Oxford in 1840 and baptised at St Michael's Church on 2 October. She was the daughter of the college servant George Goddard and his wife Sarah. They had six other children baptised at that church: Sarah (1834, buried in its churchyard the same year), Mary Grace (1835), another Sarah (1838), Emily (1840), Elizabeth (1842), and George Stroud Goddard (1844). Emily's father George Goddard died at Beaumont Buildings at the age of 41 in 1850 and was buried on 23 June (burial recorded in the register of St Mary Magdalen Church).
At the time of the 1851 census Sarah (12) was still at school and living in Plantation Road with her widowed mother Sarah (41), who was working as a servant, and her siblings Ann (18), who was a governess, Mary Grace (15), who was a dressmaker, and Sarah (12), Emily (10), Elizabeth (9), and George (7), who were still at school. She was still there in 1861 with her mother and three youngest siblings: her mother was now a laundress, and they had a servant who doubtless helped with the work.
On 29 October 1861 at St John the Baptist Church, Hoxton, Daniel George Hall married Emily Goddard: they were both lodging at Buttesland Street, Shoreditch at the time of their marriage. They had the following children:
- Frederick George Hall (born at Observatory Street in 1862 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 29 October)
- Daniel Charles Hall (born at Observatory Street in 1864 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 29 June)
- Arthur Spencer Hall (born at Observatory Street in 1868 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 3 May)
- Cecil Thomas Owen Hall (born at Observatory Street in 1870 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 29 June)
- Edith Lilian Hall (born at Observatory Street in 1872 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 25 July)
- Percy Owen Vernon Hall (born at Observatory Street in 1875 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 3 May)
- Ada Marion Hall (born at Observatory Street in 1877 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 3 April)
- Hubert Lionel Hall (born at Observatory Street in 1879 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 27 February)
Daniel Hall’s older brother Thomas died at Observatory Street at the age of 27 in 1863 and was buried in his mother’s grave on 28 October 1863.
At the time of the 1871 Daniel (32) was described as a brewer employing five labourers and two children. He was living in Observatory Street with his wife Emily (30) and his first four children, plus a 15-year-old servant girl. At about this time he was appointed Churchwarden of St Giles’s Church.
Daniel Hall’s wife died in 1880:
† Mrs Emily Hall née Goddard died at 78 Observatory Street at the age of 39 on 19 May 1880 and was buried on 22 May (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
Her death was announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal. It seems likely that she is buried in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery in the same (unlocated) grave as her husband, who died nineteen years later.
This left Daniel Hall with eight children, ranging in age from one to eighteen, with the eldest girl aged only eight. His third son, Arthur Spencer Hall, died the same year as his mother at the age of 12, and was buried on 28 October 1880 in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery in the grave of Daniel’s mother and brother.
At the time of the 1881 census Daniel Hall (42), described as a brewer employing nine men, was living at 79 Observatory Street with his eight surviving children and only a 16-year-old general servant to look after them. His son Frederick (18) was a commercial traveller, and Daniel (17) was a commercial clerk.
Daniel’s second daughter Ada died later that year:
† Ada Marion Hall died in August 1881 at the age of 4½ and was buried on 13 August, probably in her mother’s grave in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
By the time of the 1891 census, Daniel Hall’s son Daniel Charles Hall had taken over the operation of the brewery and was living on the premises with his wife and child. Daniel (who now described himself as a brewer & wine merchant) had moved to Jessamine Cottage in St Bernard’s Road (then called St John’s Road) with four of his children, including Cecil (20), who was working as a brewer’s clerk. The family had one general servant.
Daniel’s youngest son Hubert Lionel Hall died at Bournemouth at the age of 17 near the beginning of 1897 and was buried on 13 January in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery, in the same grave as his brother Arthur.
In about 1898 Hall sold the St Giles Brewery in Observatory Street to the Northampton Brewery Company, and retired.
Hall fell downstairs while staying at the Balmoral Hotel in Buxton in 1897 and died from his injuries:
† Daniel George Hall died in Buxton on 17 July 1897 at the age of 60 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 19 July (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church). His death does not appear to have been registered at the General Record Office.
The following report on his death and funeral appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 22 July 1899:
SAD DEATH OF MR D. G. HALL.
Many of our readers will hear with regret of the sad death of Mr. D. G. Hall, well known as the churchwarden, for a lengthened period, of St. Giles’, which occurred at Buxton, on Monday morning, from the effects of an accident. The deceased, who was staying at Buxton for the benefit of his health, on the previous Saturday week was trying to step out of the way of a servant who was cleaning the floor of the house, and put his hand against a door opening on to a staircase. The door, which unfortunately was not fastened, suddenly came open, and Mr. Hall was precipitated down a flight of fourteen steps. He sustained a severe wound over the eye, and was bruised all over the body, the most serious injury, however, being internal. Notwithstanding skilful medical attention he succumbed to the injuries as above stated.
For many years he was the proprietor of the St. Giles’ Brewery, Observatory-street, which he sold about twelve months ago to the Northampton Brewery Company, and retired. He was best known, however, as one of the churchwardens of St. Giles’ parish, which position he occupied with considerable success for the long period of 24 years, failing health causing his retirement three or four years ago. Many improvements were carried out in the Church during his tenure of office, and his accounts were always kept with scrupulous care, while he took especial interest in the St. Giles’ portion of St. Sepulchre’s cemetery, and was to be seen there on most Sundays. On his retirement, the parish, as a mark of esteem and regard, presented him with a gold watch and chain, a marble timepiece and silver teapot.
The deceased was 60 years of age on March 1st. At the inquest a verdict of “Accidental death” was returned.
The body was brought to Oxford on Tuesday evening, and placed in St. Giles’ Church, where it remained during the night. The first part of the Burial Service took place in the church on Wednesday afternoon, and was choral, the Vicar (Rev. H. J. Bidder) officiating. The hymn, "Thy way, not mine, O Lord," was sung, and as the coffin was being carried out of the church, Mr. Taphouse played the Dead March in “Saul.” The interment took place in St. Sepulchre’s cemetery, where the deceased had spent so many hours of his life. The mourners included Messrs. D. C. and T. O. V. [?P. O. V.] Hall (sons), and Miss Hall (daughter), and among those who followed the remains to the cemetery were Messrs. Baines, Coates and Williams (colleagues and successors in office), the Rev. E. C. Dermer (vicar of SS. Philip and James), being also present. In the evening a muffled peal was run on St Giles’ Church bells.
His effects came to £10,619 18s. 9d., and probate was granted to his son Percy Owen Vernon Hall (a brewer’s manager) and his daughter Miss Edith Lilian Hall, and
Surviving children of Daniel and Emily Hall
- Frederick George Hall (born 1862) disappears from the censuses after 1881.
- Daniel Charles Hall (born 1864) of 80 Observatory Street married Mary Innes of 66 Observatory Street at St Giles’s Church on 30 April 1890. At the time of the 1891 census they were living at Observatory Street with their son William Charles Hall, aged two months, who had been baptised at St Giles’s Church on 29 March that year, and described himself as a brewer. He must may have continued to work for the Northampton Brewery Company on the old family premises, as Kelly’s Directory for 1899 describes him as “brewer & spirit dealer (St. Giles’ brewery)” at 80 and 81 Observatory Street. By 1911 he was the licensed victualler at the Bell Hotel in Witney, and had two more children: Dorothy Mary Hall (born in Oxford in 1893) and Frederick George B. Hall (born in Standlake near the end of 1900). He died in Birmingham at the age of 62 on 23 December 1926.
- Cecil Thomas Owen Hall (born 1870) was described as a farmer in Cambridge when he married Maggie Arabella Bury at Morpeth, Northumberland on 7 August 1901. They emigrated to Canada on 1 May 1924, with their address given as 29 Southmoor Road. On 18 July 1835 Cecil (65), who was now retired, and his wife Margaret (58) arrived back at Southampton, with their destination give as 29 Southmoor Road.
- Edith Lilian Hall (born 1872) was a guest in the house of Samuel & Elizabeth Tester at North Parade Avenue in 1901. In 1911 she lived alone with a general servant at 29 Southmoor Road. She died there on 9 February 1850, and her effects came to £5,280 3s. 11d.
- Percy Owen Vernon Hall (born 1875) married Ruth Sloman Upstone in the Stoke-on-Trent district in the first quarter of 1900. At the time of the 1901 census Percy (26) was working as a brewer’s agent and living with his wife Ruth (33) and their three-month-old son George at Woodbine Cottage in St Bernard’s Road, Oxford; by the time of the 1911 census they were living at 24 Osberton Road in Summertown. They emigrated to Canada shortly after the census.
By 1915 the brewery appears to have gone, as only the Plume of Feathers is listed at 80 Observatory Street. The pub closed in 1935, and the building has since been demolished.