Edgar GLANVILLE (c.1809–1867)
His wife Mrs Mary Ann GLANVILLE, née Brown (1809–1869)
Their son Frederick Lewis GLANVILLE (1854–1885)
St Paul section: Row 4, Grave A17 (St Paul ref. N2)

Edgar Glanville


FEBRUARY 17 A.D. 1867


[DECEMBER 9, 1869]




[Bostock was also able to read
an inscription to
DIED MARCH 1, 1885 AGED 30
which has now been chipped off]




E + G


M. A. G.


F. L. G.



Edgar Glanville was born in Ipswich in c.1809. In about 1827 he was appointed clerk to the solicitor Frederick Joseph Morrell at 1 St Giles’s Street, a position he was to hold until his death.

Mary Ann Brown was born in Oxford on 8 November 1809 and baptised at St Michael’s Church on 22 November. She was the daughter of Michael Lewis Brown and Elizabeth Baylis, who were married at St Cross Church on 25 July 1799. Her parents had six other children baptised at St Michael’s: James Lewis (1800), Elizabeth (1801), Robert (1802), William (1804), Harriet Lettice (1806), Henry 1808), and Mary Ann (1809). They must then have moved, as their last four children were baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church: George (1811), Thomas (1814), Maria (1816), and Michael Lewis junior (1818).

On 27 April 1834 at St Mary Magdalen Church, Edgar Glanville, described as being of St Giles’s parish, married Mary Ann Brown, and they had the following children:

  • Mary Ann Glanville (born at Jericho Terrace, St Giles in 1835 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 26 July)
  • Edgar Glanville (born at Observatory Street in 1840 and baptised at St Paul’s Church on 12 July):
    died in 1846 (death registered third quarter)
  • Maria Elizabeth Glanville (born at Observatory Street in 1844 and baptised at St Paul’s Church on 14 April)
  • Eliza Glanville, known as Lillie (born at St Giles’s Street in 1846 and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 21 December)
  • Thomas Brown Glanville (born at Observatory Street in 1848 and baptised at St Paul’s Church on 26 November)
  • Frederick Lewis Glanville (born at Observatory Street in 1854 and baptised at St Paul’s Church on 11 June)

Edward Glanville was an attorney’s clerk. He and his wife were living at Jericho Terrace in St Giles in 1835: this is probably what became known as Observatory Street, which is given as their address thereafter. In 1837 this was taken from the parish of St Giles into the new district chapelry of St Paul.

At the time of the 1841 census Edgar and Mary Ann Glanville were at Observatory Street with their children Mary Anne (6) and Edgar (1). They appear to have lived in Observatory Street all their married life, but for some reason Mrs Glanville gave birth to her daughter Eliza in 1846 at the south end of St Giles’s Street which was in St Mary Magdalen parish: possibly they were staying over Edgar’s office.

In 1851 they were home in Observatory Street with their first four surviving children: Mary Ann (15), who was a dressmaker, and Maria (7), Eliza (4), and Thomas (2). Their last child Frederick was born three years later.

In 1861 the house number, 61 Observatory Street, is given for the first time. Edgar (52) and Mary Ann (51) were home with their four youngest children: Maria (17) was a milliner, Eliza (14) was a draper’s assistant, and Thomas (12) and Frederick (6) were at school.

Their eldest daughter Mary Ann was married in 1861:

  • On 13 June 1861 at St Paul’s Church, Oxford, Mary Ann Glanville married Richard Gower of New Cross, Surrey, and an announcement was placed in Jackson’s Oxford Journal.

Edgar Glanville died in 1867:

† Edgar Glanville died at 61 Observatory Street at the age of 58 on 17 February 1867 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 20[?] February (burial recorded in the parish register of St Paul’s Church).

His death notice in Jackson’s Oxford Journal for 23 February 1867 read: “Feb. 17th, at 61, Observatory-street, after a long and painful illness, borne with Christian fortitude, Mr. Edgar Glanville, aged 58, and for about 40 years a clerk in the office of F. J. Morrell, Esq., of this city.”

His effects came to under £450, and his executors were John Thorn Glanville of the Manor House, Berrick Salome and Robert Staines Glanville, butler of All Souls College.

His second daughter was married in 1869:

  • On 30 September 1869 at St Paul’s Church, Maria Elizabeth Glanville married the Summertown law clerk William Woodhouse Kay.

Mrs Glanville died less than three years after her husband:

† Mrs Mary Ann Glanville, née Brown died at 61 Observatory Street at the age of 60 on 9 December 1869 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 15 December (burial recorded in the parish register of St Paul’s Church).

Her death announcement in Jackson’s Oxford Journal read simply, “Dec. 9, at 61, Observatory-street, Mary Ann widow of Edgar Glanville, aged 60.”

On 23 April 1870 a notice in Jackson’s Oxford Journal announced that Edgar Glanville’s executors had put up for sale eight acres of freehold garden ground that he had owned opposite Magdalen Cricket Ground in Cowley Marcsh with considerable frontage to the Cowley Road: the sale was held at the Cape of Good Hope pub on 19 May 1870.

At the time of the 1871 census their youngest son Frederick Lewis Glanville (16), who was a solicitor’s clerk, was living with his sister Maria and her husband William Kay at their home in Kingston Road. Eliza (24) was paying a visit to her married sister Mary Ann Gower in Deptford, and her brother Thomas Brown Glanville (22) was lodging in Castle Street and working as a cook.

The youngest daughter of Edgar and Mary Ann Glanville was married in London in 1871:

  • On 14 October 1871 at Christ Church in the Old Kent Road, Eliza (Lilly) Glanville married Henry Edwin Noad of Peckham.

At the time of the 1881 census their youngest child Frederick Lewis Glanville was a brewery traveller, living at Newington, Oxfordshire with his 76-year-old uncle John Thomas Glanville and his family. By 1885 he was living in Berrick Salome, and he died at Bristol that year.

† Frederick Lewis Glanville died at Bristol at the age of 30 on 1 March 1883 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 5 March (burial recorded in the parish register of St Paul’s Church).

A death notice placed in Jackson’s Oxford Journal, but it did not explain why he was in Bristol: he may just have been away on his work as a brewery traveller.

Other children of Edgar and Mary Ann Glanville
  • Mary Ann Glanville, Mrs Richard Gower (born 1835) was living in Deptford in 1871 with her husband Richard, who was a railway station clerk, and their children Edgar Gower (9), Lewis Glanville Gower (7), and Elizabeth Gower (5). By the time of the 1881 census Richard Gower (40) was the stationmaster of the Junction Road Station in Mitcham, Surrey and lived at the stationmaster’s house with Mary Ann (45). All three of their children were then working for the railway: Edgar (19) was a shunter, Lewis (17) was a booking clerk, and Elizabeth (15) was a bookings telegraph clerk. By 1891 Mary Ann’s husband was the C.R. & G.R. stationmaster at Streatham, and they lived in the station house there with just their son Lewis still at home.
  • Maria Elizabeth Glanville, Mrs William Woodhouse Kay (born 1844) had by 1871 settled in Kingston Road with her husband William Kay, who was a lay clerk in Christ Church Cathedral, and they had a nine-month-old baby son, William (her husband had become the first leaseholder of 141 and 142 Kingston Road that year). In 1891 William was described as a teacher of the violin as well as a lay clerk, and they had three children at home: Hannah Kay (16), Mary Kay (13), and Edward Kay (9). The number of their house in 1901 was confirmed as 141, and William was now clerk to the Students’ Delegacy as well as a lay clerk. Maria Elizabeth Kay died in the Headington registration district (probably in north Oxford) at the age of 77 in 1921.
  • Eliza (Lilly) Glanville, Mrs Henry Edwin Noad (born 1846) was living in Deptford in 1881 with her husband Henry, who was a solicitor’s accountant, and their children Herbert Frederick Henry Noad (6), Gertrude Evelyn Noad (5), and Horace Glanville Noad (3), plus a 13-year-old servant girl. They were all still there in 1891 and 1901.
  • Thomas Brown Glanville (born 1848) was lodging at Wyatt’s Yard in 1881 and working as a market porter. In 1891 and 1911 he was in the Oxford Workhouse on the Cowley Road.



Please email stsepulchres@gmail.com
if you would like to add information

These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017