Mrs Emily Caldecott CAVELL, née Powell (1831–1884)
Her son Frederick Percy CAVELL (1862–1882)
St Giles section: Row 13, Grave B25½
WHICH IS FAR BETTER
FREDERICK PERCY CAVELL
ELDER SON OF JOHN & EMILY CAVELL
WHO DIED FEB 7TH 1882 AGED 19 YEARS
ALSO EMILY CALDECOTT
WIFE OF JOHN E. CAVELL
DIED JULY 3RD 1884
[AGED 53 YEARS]
Mrs Emily Caldecott Cavell was the first wife of John Elliston Cavell, the son of John Caldecott Cavell, the co-founder and eventual sole owner of Elliston & Cavell’s in Magdalen Street.
See separate grave for more information on her father-in-law.
John Elliston Cavell is not buried here with his first wife Emily and son Frederick, but is probably buried with his second wife in Lewisham.
Emily Caldecott Powell was born in Vauxhall, Surrey in 1831 and baptised at the church of St Vedast Foster Lane with St Michel le Querne on 24 April. She was the daughter of William John Powell and Sarah Caldecott. On 26 January 1860 at St Matthew’s Church, Oakley Square London she married John Elliston Cavell (born in Oxford 1838/9), the only surviving son of John Caldecott Cavell, the owner of the department store Elliston & Cavell. She was eight years his senior and is likely to have been a relation. They had two sons:
- Frederick Percy Cavell (born in Park Crescent, Oxford in 1862 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 3 May)
- Harry St John Cavell (born in Oxford in 1864, reg. second quarter)
John Elliston Cavell appears to have been out of the country at the time of the 1861 census, and Emily, who described herself as a draper’s wife, was visiting her family in Vauxhall. They were living in Park Town in early 1862.
At the time of the 1871 census John (32), now described as a silk merchant, was living at No. 1 Riversdale in the Woodstock Road in Oxford with his wife Emily (40) and their sons Frederick (8) and Harry (6), and two servants.
By 1881 John Elliston Cavell, still a silk merchant, continued to describe himself as married, but was living at 45 London Road in Reading with his elder son Frederick Percy Cavell (18), and a companion, Arthur H. James. They were looked after by a housekeeper and three servants. His wife Emily is hard to find: it is possible that she was in an institution. Harry may be the boy of 16 miscrecorded as Henry Cannell who was at Norfolk House School in Sutton.
Cavell’s elder son Frederick died in Reading the next year:
† Frederick Percy Cavell died in Reading in February 1882 at the age of 19 and was buried in St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 13 February (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
Mrs Cavell appears to have been living in Northampton, as she died there two years later:
† Mrs Emily Caldecott Cavell died in Northampton in July 1884 at the age of 53 and was buried with her father-in-law and elder son at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 7 July (burial recorded in the parish register of St Giles’s Church).
John Elliston Cavell was living in Blackheath in 1887 and appears to have remarried, because in 1901 when he was a retired draper of 62 he was living with his Islington-born wife Jane (59) at 78 Eltham Road, Lee, Kent with his unmarried son Harry (36), a solicitor. He died there at the age of 69 on 25 March 1908, and is not buried with his family in Oxford. His effects came to £20,995 0s. 11d.
Harry St John Cavell, the sole survivor of the Elliston & Cavell dynasty, married Mary Louisa Powell in Lewisham in the second quarter of 1902. He was then 38 and she was 37, and they do not appear to have had any children. They were living at The Cedars in Peaches Close, Cheam with three servants in 1911. He was living at Westdene, Burnham Avenue, Bognor Regis at the time of his death on 9 December 1940. His effects came to £19,474 8s. 7d.
Elliston & Cavell’s (now Debenham’s) after the 1894 rebuild
Above: picture of the shop from an advertisement on back page of Kelly’s Directory for 1914–15. The accompanying text reads:
ELLISTON & CAVELL, LTD.,
CABINET MAKERS, UPHOLSTERERS
LINEN DRAPERS, SILK MERCERS
Milliners, Costumiers, Ladies’ and Children’s Outfitters.
“OXFORD’s FASHONABLE SHOPPING CENTRE.”
Telephone No. 181 (two lines).
In direct communications with each department.
Telegraphic address: “Elliston’s, Oxford.”
EVERY REQUISITE FOR FAMILY MOURNING.
Patterns, Estimates and Designs Post Free.
Experienced Assistants sent to advise.
5% DISCOUNT ALLOWED OFF CASH PURCHASES
CLOSE ON THURSDAYS AT ONE O’CLOCK
Although Elliston & Cavell’s was taken over by Debenham’s as early as 1953, the old name survived until 1973. In the 1990s, the shop of 1894 shown in the above engraving was rebuilt by Debenham’s, but they preserved its old frontage.