George Augustus CAMBRAY (1821–1889)
His wife Mrs Ann CAMBRAY, née Dalby (1823–1887)
St Paul’s section: Row 6, Grave A2

George Augustus Cambray

 

IN LOVING MEMORY OF

GEORGE AUGUSTUS CAMBRAY

DIED MARCH 5 1889
AGED 66 YEARS.

 

 

ALSO OF

ANN THE BELOVED WIFE OF
GEORGE AUGUSTUS CAMBRAY

WHO DIED SEPTEMBER 4 1887
AGED 64 YEARS

 

 

I WAITED PATIENTLY FOR THE LORD,
AND HE HEARD ME

 

.

See also the graves of George Augustus Cambray's two sisters:
Sarah Cambray

(Mrs William Burchell)

Emily Cambray
(Mrs Richard Cooke)

George Augustus Cambray was born in Oxford on 1 July 1821, and baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church on 25 July. He was the son of Richard Cambray and Sophia Dodd, who were both living in St Peter-in-the-East parish, Oxford when they were married at its church on 24 October 1808. They moved to George Street after their marriage, and had eleven children baptised at St Mary Magdalen Church between 1810 and 1828.

George’s father Richard Cambray was originally a shoemaker, but just before George’s birth in 1821 he changed his trade to that of a clothes cleaner. By the time of the 1841 census his parents had moved to Walton Close. Richard, described as a scourer, lived there with his wife Sophia and three of their children: Thomas, who was a saddler; George himself; and Henry, who was a painter’s apprentice. They employed a young servant girl.

Ann Dalby was born in Great Rissington, Gloucestershire in 1823/4. She is probably the Ann Dalby, aged about 15, who in 1841 was living at Long Combe, near Woodstock with her parents Thomas & Elizabeth Dalby and her younger brother John; her father was a farmer.

George Augustus Cambray and Ann Dalby were married in the Woodstock area on 14 August 1849 and had the following children:

  • George Richard Cambray (born at Beaumont Buildings on 9 October 1850 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 10 November)
  • Henry Cambray (born at Beaumont Buildings on 7 January 1853 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 2 February)
  • Ann Cambray (born at Worcester Street in 1855 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 13 May)
  • Francis Cambray (born at Worcester Place in 1857 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 12 April)
  • Edwin Cambray (born at Worcester Place in 1859 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 4 December)
  • Charles Cambray (born at Worcester Place in 1869/70 and baptised at St Giles’s Church on 6 March 1870)

At the time of the 1851 census George Augustus, who was a clothes cleaner like his father Richard, was living at Beaumont Buildings, St Giles, with Ann and his first son George Richard, aged six months, and a house servant: Gardner’s 1852 directory lists his address as 30 Beaumont Buildings.

By 1861 the family had moved to 4 Worcester Place, and there were four more children. By the time of the 1871 census, their address is given as 5 Worcester Place: George Augustus Cambray (49), described as a clothes cleaner, can be seen there with his wife Ann (47) and all six of his children: George Richard (20), who was a cabinet maker; Henry (18), who was a carver; Ann (15), Francis (14), and Edwin (11) who were at school; and Charles (1), a late addition born to his mother when she was 46.

Three of their children were married in quick succession in the following decade:

  • On 1 January 1877 in St Paul’s Church, George Richard Cambray married Alice Fanny Thomas;
  • On 27 August 1879 at St Peter-in-the-East Church, Oxford, Ann Cambray (24) of 5 Worcester Place married William Nicholson Wheeler of 2 Queen's Lane, a grocer’s assistant and the son of the joiner William Thomas Wheeler;
  • On 8 June 1880 in Islington Church, Henry Cambray, described as a wood carver, married Amelia Mary Hale, the daughter of Joseph Hale: both were described as living at 29 Parkfield Street in London.

By 1881, only two of their children were at home with them at 5 Worcester Place: Edwin (21), who was a bookbinder, and Charles (11), who was at school. Their other unmarried son Francis, who was a jeweller & watchmaker, was lodging at 161 Westgate, Bradford.

Two more of their sons were married in the 1880s:

  • On 31 December 1885 at St Paul’s Church, Francis Cambray married Elizabeth Rosamund Wheeler, the daughter of Rowland Wheeler, a printer of 4 Bevington Road
  • On 27 March 1887 in Oxford, Edwin Cambray married Mary Ann Jackson.

Mrs Cambray died in 1887:

† Mrs Ann Cambray née Dalby died at Worcester Place at the age of 63 on 4 September 1887 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 8 September (burial recorded in the parish register of St Paul’s Church).

Her husband died sixteen months later:

† George Augustus Cambray died at 5 Worcester Place at the age of 66 on 5 March 1889 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 8 March (burial recorded in the parish register of St Paul’s Church).

His personal estate came to Ł396 7s. 4d., and his executors were his son George and his nephew.


Children of George Augustus and Ann Cambray
  • George Richard Cambray (born 1850): see separate grave
  • Henry Cambray (born 1853) and his wife Amelia (Hale) had four children: Clarice Minnie Eliza Cambray (born St Pancras October 1880, died the following year); Bertie Henry Cambray (born April 1883); Augustus Francis Cambray (born January 1885); and Charles Edwin Cambray (born April 1887). At the time of the 1881 census Henry, described as a wood carver, was living with his wife and daughter at 40 Munster Square, St Pancras. In 1891 they were living at Low Leyton, and Henry was described as a cabinet maker. By 1901 they were living at Deddington, and he was a wood and stone carver; and the situation was the same in 1911. Henry died at Deddington on 30 November 1921, and his effects came to £354 2s.
  • Mrs Ann Wheeler, née Cambray (born 1855) and her husband William Nicholson Wheeler had four children: May Annie Wheeler (born April 1880); Percy Nicholson Wheeler (born October 1883); Rowland Frank Wheeler (born January 1886); and Susan Dorothy Wheeler (born January 1890). In 1881 Ann (Mrs Wheeler) was living with her husband and daughter at 28 Temple Street in east Oxford; in 1891 and 1901 they were at 33 Hurst Street; and in 1911 they were at 71 Hurst Street, and William was now a grocer’s manager.
  • Francis Cambray (born 1857) was a watchmaker and jeweller. At the time of the 1891 census he and his wife Elizabeth (Wheeler), who had no children, were living with Elizabeth’s parents at 4 Bevington Road; by 1901 they were living over their jeweller’s shop at 118 St Aldate’s Street, and by 1911 they had moved to Davenant Road. From 1907 to 1925 Francis had an antique furniture warehouse at 44 Broad Street (one of the shops demolished to make way for the New Bodleian Library). He died on the Isle of Wight (at Sea View, Spring Hill, Ventor) at the age of 75 on 29 January 1933. His effects came to £20,070 17s. 11d.
  • Edwin Cambray (born 1859) was a book binder. In 1891 he was living with his wife Mary Ann (Jackson) and their first son Edwin George (3) at the house of his father-in-law, the butcher George Jackson at 57 Rectory Road (then called Pembroke Street).By 1901 they had moved to 54 St Mary’s Road in east Oxford and had two more children: Lizzie Maude (10) and Stanley Augustus (1). They were still there at the time of the 1911 census with the two younger children. Their eldest son Edwin George Cambray died in Salonika in World War I. Edwin senior died at Chester Street, East Oxford at the age of 92 on 13 June 1952, and his effects came to £2,705 15s.
  • Charles Cambray (born 1869/70) was only 17 when his second parent died. At the time of the 1891 census, when he was 21, he was a tailor, living on his own at 68 High Street, Banbury with a 15-year-old servant girl. In the third quarter of 1900 at West Ham he married Anne Redgrave, and at the time of the 1901 census they were living at Datchet. They had just one child: Annie Cambray, born in Datchet in 1904. At the time of the 1911 Charles was still working as a tailor in Datchet. He was living at 280 Eton Road, Slough, when he died at the age of 94 at Upton Hospital, Slough on 15 October 1964. His effects came to £4,529.

Facebook

Twitter

Please email stsepulchres@gmail.com
if you would like to add information


These biographies would not have been possible without the outstanding transcription services
provided by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

© Friends of St Sepulchre’s Cemetery 2012–2017